Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another Picture


redrack, originally uploaded by rackntroll.
They just keep pouring in!
Jared using his Rack N Roll for beer hauling!
I really like this one.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Fantastic Picture


jessenkids, originally uploaded by rackntroll.
Jesse n the girls riding on the Rack N Roll!

Twas a success, but is it worth it?

So the lil lug brazed up fine.  Soaked it, cleaned it up.
The shorelines came out wonderful.
Time for the autopsy.
Brass mostly everywhere, verr nice.
Wow, it filled in the miter gaps even.  I like that!

A bit of incomplete miter below, but since this was a quick n dirty experiment I didnt pay too much mind to the quality of my copes.  That being said I have dissected production lugged bicycle frames that are much much much more terribly mitered, like the tubes barely even touch.  And how many thousands of miles did those frames last and never broke?
I probably could have even gotten that gap completely filled if I added just a little more heat and filler to that crotch.

So....It works, I'm very happy with the result.  But how laborious and complex do I want a rack to be? he he he...Buh-bye- I need to go make some lugs.

picture updates

occasionally photos trickle in....
Mike's axle mount Rack N Roll
Max Knee posing with Tim's rack.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Little Lugs and a Matching Lug Vise

Felt like trying something new for my next rack in the works.
Time to make some lugs, real actual lugs.  Not just an external sleeve carved to look pretty like I've done in the past.

This one is just for practice.

So lets start!
Weld together 2 pieces of 1/2 x .058 cro-mo.

Then hit it with a wire wheel to knock off the scale and shine it up.

Then start to smooth out the weld. I also ran a 3/8 drill through to open up the lug to allow the mitered tubes to pass all the way through and meet.

Now that I have the lug nearly done, I need a better way to hold it.  Scratch head, think for a minute... time for a lug vise.

Now lets start vising some lugs!
Holds it good and tight, alright! Even holds tight enough for drilling!
Since this is just a practice lug I didn't want to go crazy filing pretty points.
Ready for some heat and bronze.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Basically the same but a lil bit different

Basically exactly the same as the last rack, except wooden slats added.  Oh ya, and I messed it all up and had to cut it apart and braze it back together.  ;-)

For some reason there was a long strip of oak 3/8" thick, the width shown, just hanging out in the corner of the shop.  Initially I did not plan to make the slats, but they were basically made for me already, all I had to do was cut 'em to length, drill a few holes and pretty up the top edges on the jointer/planer.
one of the the "repair" spots


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Quick Update

fixed it yay!

Lathe to the Rescue

After a little bit of thinking about what exactly needed to be where, it turned out if I hacksawed the rack in 3 places and added a little length I could get the dang rack exactly where it needed to be.  Spin some steel on the lathe to make some little bits to wrestle this rack into submission.


Sh*t Happens

A very small simple error in the early stages of building this rack snowballed into a quandary of whether to be fixed or scrapped.
This inaccuracy makes for a very peculiar error.  As I am building a rack, many of the locations for legs, rails, back stops, etc, are marked from the centerline of the rack.  But one of the platform rails is offset about 5mm, which causes one side of the rack to stick out about 5mm more than the other side when measured from the main support legs.  SO nearly everything on the rack is properly located and symmetric from the centerline, but then error shows its ugly face here and there if you start taking measurements with a ruler from the sides of the rack.  Since the rack is about 97.524% done I am desperately trying to think of the best way to cut apart put in an internal sleeve and either lengthen or shorten something or other to make things right.

If that doesn't do it for me I guess I'll just redo the whole dang thing.

Ugh.

Monumental mistake.

I hereby promise to forever check and re-check then check again before sparking that torch.


Friday, August 12, 2011

Check out this rack...

I think I finally did it....A rack that is supremely adjustable for nearly any brake setup- calipers, canti's, or V's, and is adaptable to most forks.  I could even make an additional bracket to make it mount to cantilever posts instead of the fork crown.

Lots of little pieces had to be made.
The fork crown mount has M5 braze-ons in the ends.
The straps bolt to that so the angle can be varied to account for forks of different length.  A stainless spacer fits into the strap to keep everything lined up real pretty like.
If added another strip to the front it would be very easy to add wooden slats.  But I didn't bc I am running quite low on materials so I must conserve a lil bit.
The whole rack was internally vented into the rear cross-member then I plugged the ends to seal it off.

So I think that after 4 years of rack building I have found a basic design that I will stick with.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Where Blue Trail Meets White Trail


, originally uploaded by rackntroll.

Riding the rocks at French Creek State Park.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Plugging Away

Spent a good portion of the day standing at the lathe, filing at the vise, little bit of brazing, and some welding.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Twins

Here is one rack, nearly done, but it still needs the fork crown attachment and back stop.  Kitty was hungry, he was rubbing on my legs.  So soft!
This is a second identical rack, legs and stays mitered.
Fixture and rack detail.
Platform marked in Sharpie for vent holes.
Jigged up to drill vent holes.
Vent location center punched.
Vent hole drilled.
Four holes drilled
Prepared for welding.