Wednesday, March 24, 2010

making sundry items on the lathe

jesse and the girls came to visit, i added some water bottle mounts to the rack i made for his kona ute.

i set aside 4 bottle braze-ons for his rack, some how i lost one. so i made one for him on the lathe. pretty convenient if you ask me!

heres a pic jesse snapped while brazing the bottle mounts, i am looking a bit like a mad scientist in this one. i know i know, it is time for my spring hair cut and beard trim.

i needed more bottle braze-ons for my current frame project, so rather than order a bag of 10 for $3 and wait for them to get shipped to me, i opted to make 2 more just to hold me over. i need a couple other supplies so ill be putting in an order with henry james soon.

i started out with a length of mild steel rod, drilled out the center, then hand tapped it for an m5 bolt using the lathe as a guide.

once tapped i turned down the OD to a shoulder. the small diameter is 1/4".

then i parted it off, and made another. they look just like bottle mounts!
im gonna try not to run out of these any more!

2 comments:

alex wetmore said...

The lathe is handy! I've done that too. Last time I placed an order I bought 50 water bottle bosses so that it wouldn't happen again. I sure seem to use a lot of them.

D n L said...

yes, that is what i think i need to do!